Nexus S has a much better touch screen than Nexus 1.  It can do I believe 5
distinct fingers pretty cleanly.

Xoom has a quite good touch screen -- it can do 10 distinct fingers I
believe.

The main issue with the N1 is multitouch -- the sensor just can't completely
detect two fingers at the same time.  It can do it well enough to detect
pinch and swipe gestures, but there are cases where it will report the
fingers in the wrong locations.

That said, for single finger interactions the sensor should be fine.  The N1
I've had for well over a year tracks my finger perfectly well.  And it
tracks two fingers well, except for the cases where the screen thinks they
are in different positions then they actually are.  (The main form this
takes is if you put two fingers on the screen at a diagonal from each other
and at exactly the same time, the screen may think you are touching in the
two opposite corners then where you actually touched.  The touch data for
movements however should still be quite clean.)

Oh yeah I forgot, the actual screen does sometimes report bad data, so there
is this function here in the framework to clean it up a bit:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=services/java/com/android/server/InputDevice.java;h=414b69fabdc825c34adda4091cd06c16147499d4;hb=refs/heads/froyo#l248

If people started seeing problems in the 2.3 update, I wonder if this code
is no longer working correctly?  2.3 completely rewrote the event
dispatching code so the referenced code here no longer exists, but a similar
form of it should be in the new native event dispatching.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Eric <e...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2:21 pm, Peter Eastman <peter.east...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Nexus One doesn't have a very good touch screen.
>
> Can anyone recommend the phone on the market right now with the best
> touch screen?  I have enough work to do already with my app, without
> having to worry about whether or not my app is causing bad touches
> somehow.  I'd just like to buy the best phone on the market to do my
> testing with.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com