Is the auto-downloader trying to be smart and only show packages for
your current system?

If you do a web search, there are instructions out there for accessing
the packages.xml page and figuring out the links to the blobs you want
from its contents.

You might also consider installing linux in a virtual machine
temporarily to get started.