Thanks for the info Dave (especially getting call for the raw file
descriptor!).

Allow me to help you grok the fullness of this  (wonder how many
people have actually read that book these days) :)  My app actually
runs in foreground and background (via service) for doing some
exercise tracking.  As someone is out moving about they may start my
app, set things up, and start tracking then leave the app.  The
service is in background paying attention to what its supposed to
(GPS, calculations, etc.) and at certain intervals needs to 'read out'
some statistics.

I don't want to build my own mp3 player in the app because it's a) not
what I want to focus on and b) not going to be as good as everything
else that is already out there.  I would much prefer to just play
nicely with existing mp3 apps.  The only requirement I would have is
this one ability to either play my notification over the audio stream
louder than the music or (preferably) suspend/pause the music stream
to play my notification, then resume the other streams.

The phone could be in one of several states:

1. MP3 player playing, my app in foreground, my app service running.
2. MP3 player in foreground, my app gone, my app service running.
3. Some other app in foreground (on a call maybe), my app gone, my app
service running.

Again what I'm looking for here is the best way for my notifications
to interrupt any current audio stream (except a phone call) that is
going on as long as my service is active.  (If my service is active in
background, then the user wants to hear these notifications)

Do the audio stream types interact/override one another?  If I put my
player in the ALARM type will that stop/play louder than the MUSIC
type?

Thanks!

Greg