The problem is the upgrade process seems like it has some race
conditions in it. Mostly things around resources being non-existent,
even though they are definitely there in the drawable directory. Even
more disconcerting is a stack trace that is in the old code, but is
very definitely running a few pieces of new code at the same time.

An example. I had a crash while accessing resources(that are
definitely present) in a service. It was on a blank line in the new
codebase, and matched up in the old. The crash was reported via ACRA,
which sources its destination from the app's application class. In
this particular upgrade, I changed the destination in the application
class due to an acra upgrade.. So the old crash should have gone to
the old destination, while new version crashes should goto the new
place. However, I received a old version crash report at the new
destination.

It's not just ACRA through, I've received user reported crashes via
the market with the same stacktraces with almost all the comments
mentioning that it crashed right after they upgraded.