I looked at Romain's post. That gave me the impression that old
releases use software based 2d library calls (Skia calls).
The old posts in the android-porting newsgroups talk about libhgl.so
to integrate with OpenGL backend.
If 2.2/2.3 uses software based 2d/3d backend, what is GL backend used
for?

We have a set of applications that use 1280x720 sized frame buffer.
Typical drawing operations we use are
1) draw text with or without shadows
2) draw images with alpha
3) 2d animations like fade a view group or scale/fade an image, move
an area of view up or down etc.

Does 2.2/2.3 android use h/w accelerated primitives for these
operations?
Any kind of image manipulation is an expensive operation if done using
software based library.

What is the trick to make use of GPU for as much as possible without
building whole lot of special GUI controls yourself?

Thanks