Basically what happens is I will start typing on the keyboard (stock
and third party), and all of a sudden it stops showing characters I
type in the EditText, (sometimes) resets the caret to the beginning,
yet I know I'm still typing because the suggestions box shows the
characters as I type.  I've experienced the behavior on at least 5
different devices (running 2.2, 2.3) as well as the emulator (running
2.1) but can't seem to nail down a solution.

It is seemingly random; I'm not reading any error logs through DDMS
from the system, (the only thing I see being written :sometimes: is
WARN/IInputConnectionWrapper(991): endBatchEdit on inactive
InputConnection) so I'm a little baffled.

Here is what it looks like: http://i.stack.imgur.com/gsB49.png

Here is the XML layout of the EditText:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
        android:orientation="vertical"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="fill_parent">

        <ListView android:id="@android:id/list"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:layout_weight="1"
            android:transcriptMode="alwaysScroll"/>

        <EditText android:id="@+id/etMain"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:inputType="text|textAutoCorrect"
            android:imeOptions="actionSend">
                <requestFocus />
            </EditText>
    </LinearLayout>

And here is my code from the Activity:

        et = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.etMain);

        et.setOnEditorActionListener(new OnEditorActionListener() {
                @Override
                        public boolean onEditorAction(TextView v, int actionId,
KeyEvent
event) {
                        if ((event != null && (event.getKeyCode() ==
KeyEvent.KEYCODE_ENTER)) || actionId == EditorInfo.IME_ACTION_SEND) {
                                        String sendText =
v.getText().toString();

                                        if (sendText.length() > 0) {
                                                v.setText("");

                                                }
                                        }
                                        return true;
                                }

                                return false;
                        }
        });

Appreciate any insights...let me know if you need anything else...

Ben