Perhaps there are diffrent type of jobs requiring different skills/depth.

if you are looking for an IT job writing business applications for the
mobile, perhaps I could say a few words.

Good hiring managers know that a good programmer is a good java
programmer. And a good java programmer is a good android programmer.

However some managers prefer that you have a explicit Android
programming experience. The way some of these managers are workign
this out is to see if you have any published apps on the android
market. Don't have to be an extensive app. If you were to follow this
logic it may better to write a few simple apps and publish them on the
market.

If your goals is to write a killer personal app that you can make
money out off, that is a serious task, only toil and frustration can
accrue.

2011/5/14 Harri Smått <har...@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> First of all, I'm very new to Android, installed my first SDK just 3 months
> ago. But given the nature of Java programming in general, it provides one
> with very flexible environment for familiarizing yourself with with it
> relatively quickly. And this holds for Android too (thanks guys, Dianne etc,
> you've done a great job).
>
> But since I have somewhat limited time for doing this, I'm learning Android
> on my spare time while someone else pays my bills, it soonish became quite
> obvious for me Android is huge. And I can't get into level on every area of
> Android programming I wanted to very easily.
>
> Now this leaves me with two options;
>
> 1. Start programming an application and force myself to go through services
> and what ever comes on the way.
> - This is what I started with at first. Went on with a Facebook Client, which
> I thought would provide me good overall experience on Android development (UI
> basics, network usage/optimization etc etc). But once I found myself reading
> XMPP documentation and writing my own Facebook chat client (I just didn't
> feel comfortable with adding a 500kB readymade jar to my smallish project), I
> had to start thinking is this a good way after all.
>
> 2. Find a 'special' domain to concentrate on and do it REALLY WELL.
> - This would provide smaller applications, maybe libraries, but gave me good
> insight on how to do certain things and I could concentrate on making them
> flexible/usable for other developers too. Meaning interfaces they can use to
> access my code. Or code itself should be flexible at least.
>
> Problem is, if I'm about to try finding an Android related job one day,
> should I go with the application approach instead? Or could you provide me
> with some examples of general interests, hot topics, I could spend my time on?

Satya Komatineni
http://www.satyakomatineni.com
http://www.androidbook.com