Do you try to draw a picture/image (ImageView) inside a frame
(my_background)?

If so, have the my_background resource draw a shape-drawable, e.g. a
rectangle with rounded corner with a padding on all 4 sides.
Then assign my_background to a layout (e.g. linear layout). Make the
ImageView a child of this layout.

/--------------\LinearLayout where background is set to *my_background*
| /----------\ |
| |          ImageView
| |          | |
| |          | |
| \----------/ |
\--------------/

drawable\*my_background*.xml=
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<shape xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
  <padding android:top="40dp" android:left="10dp"
   android:bottom="40dp" android:right="10dp"/>
  <corners android:radius="5dp"/>
  <solid  android:color="@color/my_background_color"/>
  <stroke android:width="1dp" android:color="@color/my_border_color"/>
</shape>

This is just an example, you'd have to tweak it and such :)

For more info about XML drawables, look here:
http://idunnolol.com/android/drawables.html