From
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners/browse_thread/thread/3120f4631c047b96/2b3aba0d6699b755?lnk=gst&q=host+apk#2b3aba0d6699b755

    In order for the browser to recognize the .apk as an application,
the
    web-server must set the MIME type to "application/
vnd.android.package-
    archive" which may be a bit tricky if you don't control the
server.
    You also have to make sure that the setting "Unknown sources" is
    checked in Application settings.

Not sure how to set attachment types on Google Sites.

If someone comes up with a solution for this, please post it.
Alternatively, if there is another Google solution for hosting files
for download that would be helpful.