> Like any occupation, unless you're some sort of savant you
> need to spend about 2000 hours (a year) working at it to achieve basic
> competence, and 10,000 hours (five years) to become an expert.  If
> you're not prepared to spend that sort of time working at it, then
> find a different occupation.

Dan, in the beginning I completely disagreed with the things you
wrote, but I completely agree with what you've written in your last
message (although I still believe Android is a good framework:-) ).
Yes indeed, anybody who is not willing to spend that much time, should
better be a consumer of applications at the Marketplace. The hours you
should spend to gain good insight and expertise may vary depending on
your experience, but the final message is that you should work hard
and spend time. I like the Android framework and I believe that
developing applications for Android is a good step to get involved in
mobile development. However, I don't like certain things around it.
One example is the App Inventor. I've never used it; maybe it can be a
helpful tool for people with software engineering background to start
a new application very fast. However, App Inventor and the things you
can do with it, is either perceived wrongly (in this case Google
should deliver the message better) or deliberately marketed with
overpromisses (hoax, hoax, hoax!!!). I've seen people who have never
written a single for-loop in their life, trying to "develop"
applications with the App Inventor and make money with it. One can
always argue that natural selection will eventually eliminate such
people, but they will also cause pollution which could hurt the
credibility of the framework. (The following is just a hypothetical
question, I've not done a statistical analysis in the Marketplace). If
5 out of 10 applications I find in the Marketplace would be rubbish,
would I bother searching it in the long run for applications and would
I continue using Android? I don't mean that this is the current
situation in the Marketplace, by no means. But giving people a tool
like App Inventor and then either not delivering the message correctly
or deliberately marketing it with empty promises, has the risk to
backfire and maybe it's not worth taking that risk. Software
development cannot be 100% automated. Period.

-Ali