I have a workflow of about 15 activities. When a user presses the home
button to close the whole app I cannot find a way of determining if
the home button has been actuated that would allow me to stop a timer
thread.

I have tried using life cycle methods (onStop(), OnStart() etc) to no
avail because they are always stopping and starting when the app is
running correctly anyway and I do not know the activity being viewed
at the time of actuating the home button either.

I know there are many posts about this issue, but nevertheless I
cannot seem to solve it.