On 2011-05-31 02:52, Doug wrote:
On May 30, 1:24 am, Raghav Sood<raghavs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I am currently using a PC running Ubuntu 11.04. Money is not a problem so I
think I'll get a Macbook Pro and dual boot OS X and Ubuntu 11.04 on it.

How are you going to dual boot with Linux on a MacBook?  Boot Camp
only supports Windows products.

Um, I've been running various kinds of Linux on my company provided MacBookPros for 5+ years without problems. Theoretically, I guess I'm "dual booting" (as I kept a small OSX partition just in case), but in reality I don't boot that partition. Remember: pretty much anything that boots x86 Windows will also work with Linux. These days it isn't even particularly tricky to install - in fact, I consider the way the multi-touch pad works in Linux better than how it is used in OSX (YMMV).

The MBP hardware is pretty good in my experience, the only iffy part is the BCM wifi.

If you want to run any kind of Linux on a MacBook, then you'll need to
get a product such as VMWare or Parallels to run some Linux in a VM
hosted within OS X.

Nope. You certainly can if you like, though.

I've been doing all my Android dev on OS X for two years and haven't
needed Linux for anything, even NDK work.  And I have never had to
find and and install device drivers like my peers using Windows.  One
major exception is with Samsung Galaxy S products -- if you want to
install a new firmware on those devices, you need Windows to run
Samsung's crappy Kies software.

Oh, I have a vbox with Windows on my MacBookPro (currently running Ubuntu 11.04) for the odd Windows-only stuff I need to do. Upgraded my Milestone that way for instance. So of the three OSes, OSX is actually used the least.

Don't get me wrong, these days I could get used to OSX if I had to (I selected Linux when OSX still didn't exist), but for various reasons I still prefer Linux (comparing uptime with my colleagues - identical hardware - I have better uptimes) and Linux is also the target platform of my day job.

                        Best / Jonas