I have an app which includes a app widget but only as a relatively minor
portion of the total functionality. A significant minority of my users use
it.

I notice that when setting installLocation to "auto", the widgets will
disappear as soon as the user moves the app to the SD card. When the app is
in internal memory (whatever the value of installLocation set in the
Manifest), the widgets function fine.

This is somewhat described in the docs:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html

The question is, the docs explicitly say apps, such as mine (e.g. using
widgets), SHOULD NOT set the installLocation in this way. Is that simply
because of the above behaviour (in which case "SHOULD NOT" sounds too
strong), or should I take it to imply that there may be changes made further
down the line which cause greater problems?

As it stands, I can stomach informing users that it's either
run-from-sd-card OR show widgets but NOT both.