Hi Romain,
Thanks for the fast response.

> Using invalidate() is the trivial View method that I wanted to circumvent,
> > because it will adress its parent, which then will scan all of its
> children,
> > and redraw the ones that are dirty. If you have a lot of children, and
> your
> > app is an audio program that must not be interrupted, then you have a
> > problem.
>
> Sounds like you need to optimize your application then.

That's exactly what I was trying to do. The audio part can't be optimized
anymore because it is native, so I tried to optimize the graphical part.

> > Also I found out that if there is not enough time to redraw some
> > view, then all visible views will be redrawn.
>
> No, that is simply not true.

Dare I disagree? I am using home-made widgets and I monitor when they are
redrawn. I found out that they were redrawn often, also when not needed. So
I used a ViewGroup derived from AbsoluteLayout, stripped as much as
possible. The superfluous redrawing now happens less frequently, but I
wanted to optimize further.

> > So I was trying to strip down the ViewGroup such that it became faster,
> with
> > some succes. The bottleneck now is the method drawChild(Canvas canvas,
> View
> > child), statement child.mPrivateFlags |= View.DRAWN, that can't be used
> any
> > more. Could you give away the secret what I must use instead?
>
> How is drawChild() a bottleneck? It simply draws a given child.

The code of drawChild() is complicated and does a lot of things that I do
not need. That was the reason of my question.

wboe