Thanks Dianne. I was looking for more guidance toward the best
practices for handling this so not to deviate from the intentions of
your team and consequently do something that would break in future
releases or in situations that I didn't expect.

I implemented a quick and dirty fix that allows me to handle this on
existing layout managers by overriding onMeasure. Code is posted over
on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6298827/can-onmeasure-be-skipped-when-adding-a-view-to-a-viewgroup-solved.