C++ by Stroustroup is one of the best books in languages that I have
read (especially the ARM book).

On Java I still prefer the simplicity of the first edition by the
creator of Java. to the point. brief. clear and concise.

The more recent topics you can probably learn from on line sources
such as generics, genericized lists etc..

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 7:26 AM, John <jmo...@softmoore.com> wrote:

>> I have a C and C++ background and i'm looking for "THE" java book, like the
>> "C Programming Language, best know as K&R, for C and the "C++ Programming
>> Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup for C++.
>
> I have always liked the Core Java books (two volumes) by Horstmann and
> Cornell. now in their eighth edition.  See
> http://www.horstmann.com/corejava.html
> for more details.  I also support the other poster's recommendation of
> Josh Bloch's book entitled Effective Java as an excellent reference,
> but not necessarily as a first source for learning Java.

Satya Komatineni
http://www.satyakomatineni.com
http://www.androidbook.com