What if the list view's content produces unequal margins in the horizontal
and vertical directions? I don't think your requirement, as written, can
handle this.

If equal horizontal and vertical margins weren't a requirement, I'd say make
a FrameLayout with minimum margins (or padding), then set your list view to
wrap_content / wrap_content, and layout_gravity to "center". That should
come pretty close.

Other than that, you might need to write your own ViewGroup subclass,
perhaps starting by subclassing FrameLayout.

-- Kostya