It always helps to give an explicit example of a Google query he could
have used to answer his question. I found the answer in the top item
listed after searching google with "android developer anr", which is
titled "Design for responsiveness" and says:

"Generally, the system displays an ANR if an application cannot
respond to user input. ... In both of these cases, the recommended
approach is to create a child thread and do most of your work there."

It is almost certain that that is the right answer for his problem. If
not, then he should still read the rest of the article -- as well as
look for what platform methods he might be using that are running on
the main UI thread when they should not be...