I found it out. Posting it for people who might be interested.

 Intents are used for this purpose. The Activity Manager command line
tool am can accept Intent parameters.

adb shell am -e <param_name> <value> -n <package>/.<Activity_class>
can be used to execute the Activity from command line and in the java
class intent.getStringExtra("<param name>"); function can be used to
retrive the value.

HTH

avi