Ah yeah.  You can't just reconnect with an IRC client like I can with
my app.  And your app might be killed outright, in which case you'd
have to completely restart it... But you should be able to get away
with a background thread running to keep the connection open, just
don't update the UI if it's not visible.

I wrote an IRC client for one of the pre-release SDK versions (mostly
as a test), and looking at it now, I realize I didn't handle this case
at all :)

- michael