Neither. It's a view background, defined as a state list.

Take a look in android-sdk\platforms\android-X\data\res\values\styles.xml:

        *<item
name="android:background">@android:drawable/btn_default</item>
*        <item name="android:focusable">true</item>
        <item name="android:clickable">true</item>
        <item
name="android:textAppearance">?android:attr/textAppearanceSmallInverse</item>
        <item
name="android:textColor">@android:color/primary_text_light</item>
        <item
name="android:gravity">center_vertical|center_horizontal</item>
And btn_default is in turn inside data\res\drawable:

<selector xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
    <item android:state_window_focused="false" android:state_enabled="true"
        android:drawable="@drawable/btn_default_normal" />
    <item android:state_window_focused="false" android:state_enabled="false"
        android:drawable="@drawable/btn_default_normal_disable" />
... snipped for brevity ....
    <item
         android:drawable="@drawable/btn_default_normal_disable" />
</selector>
Finally, these drawable resources are nine-patches, inside drawable-mdpi or
drawable-hdpi.

-- Kostya