You could create a service for the background task. Create your main
Activity, call startService(....), inside the service, create a
thread, finish your work, then call stopSelf() to stop your service.
Have a look at
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/app/Service.html.
Services usually last longer and killed later then usual activities
when memory is low.