I couldn't find a decent alternative to this either. It seems that
ListView can't be extended to somehow get it to display the elements
horizontally. And replicating ListView is a pain too, because it's
using some private apis.

So you either come up with your own HorzontalListView implementation,
or stick with the Gallery / HorizontalScrollView. In case you choose
the first option, don't forget to opensource it :P