Doug,

I currently do send a broadcast that notifies that data has been
changed which in the receiver I notify the ListView/Adapter but
obviously that didn't work since I still get the
IllegalStateException.  I'm guessing that it's critical that the
listview be immediately notified and the broadcast doesn't satisfy
that immediate notification requirement.