> It is a bug, however, that the lock screen tries to engage at all, when I
> have (since the day I got my Android phone) had it turned off in
> Settings->Location & Security-->Set up screen lock (first option set to
> NONE to "Disable screen unlock security").

You have disabled the _security_ aspect, this means there is no PIN,
Password or Pattern screen. The standard lockscreen (Keyguard) is
still active. Android provides an API to disable the keyguard, but it
is intended for temporary use. Android 3.x includes System Settings >
Location & Security > Configure lock screen > Off (never lock the
screen) which would do what you want, except it's only on 3.x.
Hopefully we see the option available on phones with icecream
sandwich.

-Kevin