Ok the answer to what I asked last is yes, I was able to get the
Activities to
communicate via the Extras. The Preview starts, snaps pictures and
then the
subsequent call stops the preview.

Now regarding to what Dianne pointed out, I will look into her
suggestions
and see where we need to inject such logic to avoid user issues going
up
and down an undeterministic stack.

Thanks to all for the invaluable feedback - I appreciate it!