I would like to know the best practice approach to accomplishing this
in Android:

Main Activity:  Contains 1 textview, 1 opens menu and 1 global thread-
based class.  The global thread-based class that opens a socket and
reads in data via TCP/IP, and sends thread-safe notification to the
main activity so that it can update its textview.  This class is
developed and works well when it is called from the main activity's
onCreate method.
Preferences Activity:  This activity allows the user to choose options
for host and TCP/IP.

Here are my questions:
1. How do I keep my global class from being destroyed when the onPause
is called?  Every time I rotate the phone or enter the preferences
activity, the object is trashed.
2. How do I capture the event that the user has entered preferences
and it is time to start my global class?  I have tried onResume, but
there is ambiguity between when the app is loaded and when the
preferences screen was exited.

Thanks in advance...