Hello,

I'm creating a Camera application, and I'm trying to save pictures
with the right orientation depending on how the user holds the phone,
however I'm running into several issues. I've read all the posts
related to this, both here and in stack overflow, and I could not find
an answer to this issue.

The problem is:

- I have to force the orientation of the App to landscape, since the
camera preview doesn't work properly in portrait mode in most phones.
This rules out trying to get the orientation from the configuration,
since it never changes.

- I was trying to get the current orientation of the phone using the
orientation sensor, however this gives you different results depending
on whether the natural orientation of the phone is landscape (most 3.X
tablets ) or portrait (most 2.X phones). And there is no way of
getting the default orientation of the phone (there are a few hacks
you can use, but no reliable way)

It seems pretty weird to me that there is no way of knowing if the
user is holding their phone in landscape or portrait mode, unless I'm
missing something here.

Regards.