David,

I'm sorry you are going through this.

I put together a list of resources for those of you that have received
letters from Lodsys. I will add to it as I find out more information.
If you have the contact information for a developer advocate at
Google, I suggest talking to them as well.

Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) - Julie Samuels (ju...@eff.org)
She is helping to coordinate contacts between app developers. She
might also be able to help you find a lawyer. (Not sure if you're out
of the U.S. though.)

Mike Lee's "Appsterdam Alliance" - http://mur.mu.rs/?p=303
(b...@le.mu.rs)
As you can see in this article, he is hoping to get developers
together to defend themselves. If you contact him, he can get you in
touch with his lawyer.

Advice on how to respond -
http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/07/cost-efficient-way-for-app-developers.html

As for comments like "I for one hope that they (Lodsys) carry on
behaving like extortionist
gangsters. It's the surest path to patent
reform as it relates to software. Thanks Lodsys!" (Christopher Van
Kirk)... Maybe think a bit before you post something like that. It's
really not helpful to anyone and you will be thinking differently when
a FedEx from Lodsys shows up on your doorstep and you face a real risk
of losing your business and more.

-- Katie