I keep getting told that my code violates the UI and lifecycle rules
and I have no idea how to find/fix it.

I first read this:
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals/processes-and-threads.html

Then, I figured I needed to replace things like this:
(TextView)findViewById(R.id.definition).setText("Hello");

to now read:

TextView t=  (TextView)findViewById(R.id.definition);
t.post(new Runnable() {
     public void run() {
          t.setText("Hello");
     }
});

But I still get told that I am in violation.

Q: Are there ways I can flush out these bugs? Are there tools people
use, or ways to scrutinize the log? or must I just push-buttons real
fast on a real device?

Any help appreciated!
-cellurl