On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Because we are sometimes dumb.  That is why it is deprecated and replaced
> with a method named getRotation() in current versions of the platform.
>
> A nice person spent a long time harassing me about this change because they
> insistent that we were evil vile losers who didn't understand what app
> developers needed by deprecating the getOrientation() method.  I never
> figured out exactly what was motivating all of that.  But if that person is
> reading: this is why. :)

>From where I sit Android is becoming really hard to keep up with.  I
have a ton of 2.1 users still so I need to stay with API version 7.
The current API is 13, that's almost double the version I need to stay
at.  I can't force people to upgrade or buy a new phone.  Meanwhile
the SDK docs show more and more "non documentation" for API version 7
every day due the continuing deprecation.

What's a developer to do?

--
Greg Donald