Hi

I'm showing the user a "Save as..." dialog to save files, and I'd like
to disable a set of 'reserved characters' into a related EditText
field.

Let's say, something like:

  private static final String ReservedChars = "|\\?*<\":>+/'¥";

 (useful read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename )

I have to be careful not to use chars not compatible with other
filesystems like Windows (for instance: ? or "  would make the file
unusable in a Win* filesystem)

Moreover, I don't want the user to be able to put sequences like "../"
or "/foo/bar/filename.xxx" to access other paths.

This also brings up another point: _all_ possible filepath separators
should be forbidden (for instance, ¥ is the filepath separator on
Japanese locale computers).

So, what would be the most elegant solution to filter out these
characters from user input?
I'm also thinking about automatically replacing the forbidden chars
with underscores, but it's not really user-friendly.

I looked into http://developer.android.com/reference/android/text/InputType.html
but something like InputType.TYPE_CLASS_FILE_NAME is missing...

TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_URI does not seem an option since apparently the
soft keyboard ends up containing chars like: / * " ? ¥ and... smileys?

For now I've tried with:

                EditText myEditText = new EditText(activity);
                myEditText.setSingleLine();
                myEditText.setInputType(InputType.TYPE_CLASS_TEXT |
InputType.TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_URI);

to no luck.

Now I'm reading across:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6626283/how-to-use-inputconnectionwrapper