On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM, kypriakos <demet...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:
> I issue a finish() on a single process app, it exits to the home
> screen of the
> phone but a ps shows that the process is still running.

Android will terminate the process eventually. Android keeps the
process running initially, in case the user happens to pop right back
into it, so they can get into the app more quickly and with less
battery use. Once Android starts needing RAM for other apps, though,
your unused process will be terminated.

> Is this the
> proper
> way to terminate an app? I thought so.

finish() is the proper way to exit an activity. You do not "terminate
an app" on Android any more than you "terminate a Web app".

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android 3.1 Programming Books: http://commonsware.com/books