I'm new to Android development, so please pardon if this question
seems too fundmental. I was wondering if it was possible to create an
application that once launched is always "ON" even when the phone is
not being used (unless of course the user manually terminates it or
the battery runs out) and will periodically "awaken" to send certain
information (e.g., location) via text. This will not be spyware, and
the user will be fully aware of this feature if they launch the
application. Is this doable?  Thanks.