I don't have a solution for you unfortunately, just meant to mention I'm
seeing kind of similar problems fairly often - my installs also fail when
they really shouldn't.

My test device is HTC Desire whose internal storage, unlike your case, is
used up to some extent by other installed apps.  However, there should be
enough room left to install my .apk.  Another difference from your case is
that it always helps if I reboot the phone (annoying enough to have to do
that 15 times a day though).

My theory is that the install process fails to clean up something in /tmp
(or an Android equivalent thereof) that gets cleaned up only during the next
boot.  This obviously doesn't explain your situation though if device reboot
doesn't help you ...