On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 08:43:00PM -0400, Kristopher Micinski wrote:
> You mean that you can't do it using socket programming because you
> don't know the IP?  That's true, I spose...

I think what he was saying is that he doesn't understand how to use
socket programming.  My response to that is, simply, LEARN.  Unless
you're getting down to layer one or two, it's not that difficult.
And even I know that java (and no doubt Android) has library code to
handle the lower layers....  A simple data exchange between two
clients is all it would take.  Something like:

   A sends connection request to B
   B responds, establishing two-way link
   (the lower levels do more than that, of course)

   A sends data to B.
   (Lower levels handle error control.)
   B sends an ACK to A and terminates connection

It should probably take about that many lines of code, too (maybe
a FEW more, but we're NOT talking rocket science when the lower
levels---the REAL work that handles the HDLC, IP, and TCP
protocols---are handled by library code ... and yes, I've
written the code all the way down to layer two---the physical layer
was already in place and operational), back when I was in college[1],
but that was in C, not Java, and I've done socket-based apps in Tcl,
too; it is NOT hard to do).

Later,
   --jim

[1] BS in electronics/telecom; class in question was the intro to
    data communications.  In that project, we had to implement both
    ends of an HDLC data link and transfer data from one end of the
    link to the other.  Easy stuff.  My cats could probably figure
    it out...it's that simple.

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >
spooky1...@gmail.com ICBM/Hurricane: 30.44406N 86.59909W

                "sigh, once upon a time T-1 was fast...."
                           --seen in alt.sysadmin.net-abuse.email

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html