I have been having this problems for days, google and searching lots
of post on internet, but still no result. I really appreciate if
someone can help me out or just give me some hint on how to do this.

I am going to build a chatting mobile app, but having problems on how
to build server side architecture.

I know there is OpenFire and ejabberd open source xmpp server that we
can use, but my question is, how can we build this structure?

For example, we need to allow new user registration, allow them to
upload pictures, allow them to build their own personal information.
At the same time, they need to chat with each other.

If we only use OpenFire or ejabberd xmpp server, how can we make them
have these functionalities?

Or maybe we can have our own tomcat server running with all these
features, when user needs to talk to each other, we will send request
to Tomcat, then tomcat will route it to XMPP server?

Any idea? Thanks a million.