I have CM 7.1.0 RC1 for the HTC Desire, but mine says 2.3.4. As I
remember when I flashed it, 2.3.5 was unheard of then.

I hope it's not too much trouble, but could you go to
http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/request.py?contact_type=market_phone
and send a report? I did it once and they replied within one day
(surprise!) with the reason why it cannot see the app.

Also based on
http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/developer/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs
it says developer phones cannot access copy-protected apps. Is the ROM
a developer ROM? If it is, you should not be able to find paid apps
either.