You can create an xml file for your background.
In that XML file, you add an item called bitmap.
On the bitmap item, you apply a PNG that can tile and set the tile
mode to repeat.

Example found here
http://www.mokasocial.com/2011/02/create-a-custom-styled-ui-slider-seekbar-in-android/

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <layer-list xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android">
    <item>
        <clip>
            <shape>
                <gradient
                    android:startColor="#FF5e8ea3"
                    android:centerColor="#FF32a0d2"
                    android:centerY="0.1"
                    android:endColor="#FF13729e"
                    android:angle="270"
                />
            </shape>
        </clip>
    </item>
    <item>
        <clip>
        <bitmap xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
            android:src="@drawable/stripe_bg"
            android:tileMode="repeat"
            android:antialias="true"
            android:dither="false"
            android:filter="false"
            android:gravity="left"
        />
        </clip>
    </item>
</layer-list>

Don't hesitate to grab 9-patch PNGs from my blog if you need :)
android9patch.blogspot.com

Richard.