A common reason for its disappearance is that Eclipse somehow lost
track of which device it is supposed to be connected to. Clock on the
little 'Device' icon in the DDMS perspective to make it come back.

But this irritating disappearing trick, and a few other
inconveniences, is why for serious debugging, I do not rely on the
DDMS perspective: I open a terminal window (yes, I run Eclipse under
Linux) and use a command line such as "adb logcat" or even "adb logcat
tee | logcatout.txt" to keep a copy for handy searching later.

Sometimes even this fails, but then stopping and restarting adb almost
always fixes it.