ok sori  guys.

the thing is that by default telnet doesnot work in vista.
so we need to install the telnet client in vista first for this
command to work

Control panel -> programs and features -> Turn windows features on or
off -> select telnet client

installation takes few minutes. u r done ...
It works!

regards,
Krishna