I had a number of problems starting my VM as well. Not sure what OS
you're running on, but my primary dev machine is Windows Vista 64-bit.
I was running into issues because I didn't have the environment
variables set up. Try running these two commands from the command
prompt:

SET PATH=%PATH%;c:\Java\android-sdk-windows\tools;c:\Java\android-sdk-
windows\platform-tools
SET ANDROID_SDK_HOME=c:\Java\android-sdk-windows

Obviously, you should replace the path to whatever you have for your
SDK installation.

Cheers!
Peter