Thanks TreKing,

Now that I have seen how to use the layout_weight parameter properly
I was able to insert a decent row of buttons both at the top and at the
bottom
of the list view. However my concern now is in the top row. When the button
labeled "SCHEDULE DATE HERE" has text which is too long it runs under
the other two buttons which is not what I want. Instead when its text grows
I would like the text to wrap like in the buttons in the bottom row (the
buttons
in the bottom row will not overlap even when their text property is a very
long
string). In the top row I need the first button on the left and the other
two on
the right.

How can I fix this?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <LinearLayout
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
  android:orientation="vertical" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
  android:layout_width="fill_parent">
  <!-- Header -->
  <TextView android:text="@string/schedule_title"
    android:textAppearance="?android:attr/textAppearanceLarge"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_width="match_parent"
    android:gravity="center"></TextView>
  <!-- List Divider -->
  <View android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="1dip"
    android:background="?android:attr/listDivider" />
  <!-- top row -->
  <RelativeLayout
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content">
    <Button
      android:layout_width="wrap_content"
      android:layout_height="wrap_content"
      android:id="@+id/dateButton"
      android:text="SCHEDULE DATE HERE"
      android:layout_alignParentLeft="true"/>
    <LinearLayout
      android:layout_width="wrap_content"
      android:layout_height="wrap_content"
      android:layout_alignParentRight="true">
      <Button
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:id="@+id/prevButton"
        android:text="[Prev]"/>
      <Button
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:id="@+id/nextButton"
        android:text="[Next]"/>
    </LinearLayout>
  </RelativeLayout>
  <!-- schedule list -->
  <ListView android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:id="@+id/listview"
android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1"></ListView>
  <!-- bottom row of buttons -->
  <RelativeLayout
      android:id="@+id/showScheduleButton"
      android:text="@string/schedule_showAlarmGroups"
      android:id="@+id/alarmsOnOffButton"
      android:text="@string/schedule_alarmsOn"
      android:layout_alignParentRight="true"/>
  </RelativeLayout>
</LinearLayout>

Regards,

John Goche