You could try to re-install the app instead, using
adb install -r my.apk

Although re-installing will retain the application's data, which might
not be always what you want.

Also, I wasn't clear from your message whether you are doing this or
not, but it should not be necessary to close and restart the emulator.
I just leave the emulator running while I'm doing my app development.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Brett.