I put some code into my app to allow LVL failure up to five times
before declaring the app unlicensed.  In addition, once licensed, I
only checked again once a month.

Even still, I had complaints, and pirated copies of my app found their
way to warez sites.

Like all anti-piracy schemes I've seen so far, LVL was more effective
in annoying legitimate users than thwarting piracy.  IMO, this sort of
thing should be built into the platform, without developers or users
having to worry about it.

Recently, I removed LVL from my app, as I did not see a noticeable
increase in sales for the time I was using LVL.  Only one of my apps
is popular enough to be pirated, and according to the analytics that I
used to have in my app, more than 95% of the users were using a
pirated copy.  Unfortunately, it seems very difficult for a developer
to convert pirates into a revenue stream.  I've also removed the
analytics now, over privacy concerns.

Just my observations, having had an app in the Market since early
2009.

-Howard