Thanks Chris.

I looked around including URLs at Google (http://
android.clients.google.com/packages/)
but these images are nowhere to be found (Cupcake or Donut). Not sure
if I can
build them myself eventually off the source code.

I did look around XDA Devs but didn't see the link below so I will
follow up
on that. I think G1 does support 2.2 (or at least that's what people
claim)
so I can give it a shot but I need to get it off the ground first from
1.1
and into 1.5/1.6 first. And like you said, matching the various
packages
is the trick.