The original development phone was the nexus one, however the concept
of an official "development phone" hasn't been around for a long time,
and people just generally use their own devices for development these
days.  As long as you buy a nice device (for what you want to do with
it) you should be fine, optionally one that you think you can quickly
root.

Kris