I feel like this question has come up over and over again based on my
googling, but I still can't figure out how to pull this off.

I have a set of copyrighted PDFs which I would like to package inside
some kind of "bookshelf" application. But I would like them to remain
reasonably protected.

I've tried using addFlags(Intent.FLAG_GRANT_READ_URI_PERMISSION)
before calling startActivity() with no success. (which relies on an
external PDF viewer)

Also have tried building the Android PDF Viewer for inclusion as an
external application library.

Really, I'm just trying to create a simple PhoneGap-based menu app
that pops open whatever PDF is selected. I don't want things on the
sdcard because this data shouldn't be that easy to pirate