I hoping this was fixed along the way and the issue not updated.  I had to
drop a part of an internal application for a company because of this bug.

And like lbendlin said, you could just check the last known and see if it
was recent enough to use.

private static final int TIME_WINDOW = 10000; // 10 Second window

LocationManager lmMgr = (LocationManager)getSystemService(
Context.LOCATION_SERVICE );
Location lLast = lmMgr.getLastKnownLocation( LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER );

if( System.currentTimeMillis() - lLast.getTime() < TIME_WINDOW )
{
    // Use last known.
}

You can always do this first and if something else is using the GPS you
could get a good fix fairly quickly.  Just know that this can be VERY old
and you would want to do proper checking on it.

Steven
Studio LFP
http://www.studio-lfp.com