Ok, here's what I ended up doing:

                AssetManager am = this.getResources().getAssets();
                InputStream is = null;
                try {
                        is = am.open("ok.txt");
                } catch (IOException e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }
                Scanner s = new Scanner(is);
                long numfloats = s.nextLong();
                float[] f = new float[(int) numfloats];
                for (int ctr = 0; ctr < f.length; ctr++) {
                        f[ctr] = s.nextFloat();
                }